Skip to Content

About Us


College Complaint Procedure Information

Federal regulations and State laws require that public colleges in The Florida College System have processes for students, employees, and applicants to file complaints against any respective college. In almost every situation, the college's process for resolving complaints must be followed first.

Before contacting the Division of Florida Colleges, please read your college's policies and procedures for filing complaints. Examples of where these can be found include:

  • Course catalogs
  • Student handbooks
  • Employee handbooks
  • College policy and procedure manuals
  • College websites

Additionally, you may contact a variety of persons at the college level who can assist you, including, but not limited to:

  • College Equity Officers
  • College Ombudsmen
  • Human Resource Directors
  • Vice-Presidents
  • Deans
  • Academic Advisors or Directors of various college offices and divisions
  • ADA Coordinators or Directors of Disability Student Services

All persons are encouraged to work through the internal complaint and appeal processes at their respective institutions as the first step in filing a complaint. Each college is governed by a Board of Trustees or District Board of Trustees who are responsible for ensuring lawful implementation of complaint procedures according to State Statutes and Federal Regulations. If you believe that your complaint has not been addressed satisfactorily at your local institution after exhausting the college's complaint or grievance procedures, you may contact the following personnel at the Division of Florida Colleges for additional information:

Financial Aid

For complaints related to financial aid, please contact:

Office of Student Financial Assistance
Florida Department of Education
325 West Gaines Street, Suite 1314
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0400
Telephone: 1-800-366-3475


Federal Student Aid Ombudsman
U.S. Department of Education
830 NE First Street, Fourth Floor
Washington, DC 20202-5144
Telephone: 1-877-557-2575
Fax: 202-275-0549

Public Complaints

There are additional state and federal agencies and organizations for filing complaints after all recourses at the college level have been exhausted and you believe your complaint warrants additional investigation. These include:

For student and general public complaints alleging discrimination, contact:

Office for Civil Rights, U. S. Department of Education
Atlanta Office
61 Forsyth St. S.W., Suite 19T70
Atlanta, GA 30303-3104
Telephone: 1-800-421-3481
Fax: 404-562-6455
TDD: 877-521-2172

Employment Complaints

Florida Commission on Human Relations
2009 Apalachee Parkway
Oakland Building, Suite 100
Tallahassee, FL 32301-4857
Telephone: 850-488-7082
Fax: 850-488-5291


U. S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
Miami District Office
One Biscayne Tower, Suite 2700
Miami, FL 33131
Telephone: 1-800-669-4000
Fax: 305-808-1855
TTY: 1-800-669-6820

Disability or Accessibility Complaints

For complaints related to disability or accessibility:

Disability Rights Section, Civil Rights Division
U.S. Department of Justice
950 Pennsylvania Ave., NW
Washington, D.C. 20530
Telephone: 1-800-514-0301
Fax: 202-307-1198
TTY: 1-800-514-0383

Lastly, you also have the right to obtain services of an attorney at your expense.