The NAEP Trial Urban District Assessment (TUDA)
The Trial Urban District Assessment, or TUDA, focuses on urban education and measures educational progress within selected large urban districts. In 2019, twenty-seven districts participated in the TUDA program:
Congress appropriated funds for a district-level NAEP assessment on a trial basis in 2001 after discussions between the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), the National Assessment Governing Board (NAGB), and the Council of the Great City Schools (CGCS).
The assessments administered in TUDA districts are exactly the same as those given nationally, using identical administration procedures. Similar to national and state NAEP, TUDA districts do not receive individual scores for students or schools. TUDA districts can monitor their progress over time in Mathematics and Reading at grades 4 and 8.
In addition to comparing TUDA results to national and state results, TUDA results can also be compared to results from large cities nationwide. NAEP uses large city (formerly referred to as large central city) as a comparison group because the students are most similar to the students in TUDA districts. Large cities include students from all cities in the nation with populations of 250,000 or more, including the districts participating in TUDA.
In collaboration with NCES and CGCS, NAGB invites districts that meet certain selection criteria to volunteer to participate in TUDA. Selection criteria relate to
- district size,
- percentage of African American or Hispanic students, and
- percentage of students eligible for the National School Lunch Program (NSLP) or other appropriate indicator of income status.
For more information on the TUDA program, see the TUDA Frequently Asked Questions.
Florida TUDA District Reports
Florida has three districts participating in the TUDA program – Duval County (Jacksonville), Hillsborough County (Tampa), and Miami-Dade County Public Schools. Miami-Dade first participated in TUDA in 2009, Hillsborough in 2011, and Duval in 2015.
Florida results are compiled into reports by both NCES and Florida NAEP. Reports are available on the pages linked below:
- 2022 TUDA Reports: Duval, Hillsborough, and Miami-Dade
- 2019 TUDA Reports: Duval, Hillsborough, and Miami-Dade
- 2017 TUDA Reports: Duval, Hillsborough, and Miami-Dade
- 2015 TUDA Reports: Duval, Hillsborough, and Miami-Dade
- 2013 TUDA Reports: Hillsborough and Miami-Dade
- 2011 TUDA Reports: Hillsborough and 2011 TUDA Reports: Miami-Dade
NAEP State Coordinator
Florida Department of Education