Coronavirus Aid, Relief & Economic Security (CARES) Act
The Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act was established on March 27, 2020, and provided initial funding support for the U.S. education system during early stages of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Florida received $770 million in Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief, (ESSER I) funding and $173 million in Governor’s Emergency Education Relief, (GEER I) funding through the CARES Act.
The Florida Department of Education used funds reserved for state-level education activities to support priority areas such as literacy achievement, summer recovery, rapid workforce credentialing, and progress monitoring.
CARES Guidance and Webinars
- December 7, 2020 - High Quality Curriculum for Reading and Civics
- November 19, 2020 - CARES Act, Data-Informed Supports Grant Opportunity
- September 24, 2020 - Expanding Access to Mental Health and Telehealth Student Services in Florida Public Schools
- August 25, 2020 - CARES/GEER Coronavirus Prevention and Response Grant
- June 30, 2020 - Updates to the GEER Summer Recovery and ESSER CARES Act Grants
- June 18, 2020 - Coalition and School District Rising Kindergarten Program 2020 Conference Call (CARES)
- June 16, 2020 - CARES Act, Building K-12 CTE Infrastructure Grant Opportunity
- June 16, 2020 - CARES Act, Rapid Credentialing Grant Opportunity
- Funding Opportunities Webinar (PDF)
- Question and Answer Presentation (PDF)
- Request for Application (Word)
- Rapid Credentialing Application (Excel)
- June 12, 2020 – CARES Entitlement Funding
- June 12, 2020: Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act Webinar (PDF)
- June 11, 2020 - CARES Act and Early Learning
- May 14, 2020: CARES Waiver Response from Scott Stump Assistant Secretary for Career, Technical, and Adult Education (PDF)
- April 21, 2020: Fiscal Waiver Response from Frank T. Brogan Assistant Secretary for Elementary and Secondary Education
- March 27, 2020: COVID-19 Waiver Response from Assistant Secretary Frank T. Brogan Assistant Secretary for Elementary and Secondary Education (PDF)