Gifted Education Programs
Florida defines gifted students as students who have superior intellectual development and are capable of high performance. Each school district serves gifted students through local plans that provide academic and social emotional support. The links below provide more information regarding resources, publications and other supporting information for teachers, administrators, parents, students and community members.
- For questions and information about gifted programs and support, please visit the Gifted Education Programs page within the Bureau of Standards and Instructional Support or contact 850-245-0830.
- For state gifted education compliance questions, please visit the Bureau of Exceptional Student Education or contact 850-245-0475.
- Special Instructional Programs for Students Who Are Gifted (identification)
- Development of Educational Plans for Exceptional Students who are Gifted
- Specialization Requirements for the Gifted Endorsement
- 6A-6.03313, F.A.C., Procedural Safeguards for Exceptional Students who are Gifted
- Florida’s Frameworks for K12 Gifted Learners (PDF)
- Florida Plan for K-12 Gifted Education (PDF)
- Resource Guide for the Education of Gifted Students in Florida (PDF)
- What is Exceptional Student Education for Children Who Are Gifted? - 2017 (PDF)
- ¿Qué es la Educación de Estudiantes Excepcionales para los Niños Dotados? 2017 - Spanish (PDF)
Frequently Asked Questions
District Add-on Renewal Information
The Topics, Specific Objectives and Key Questions listed below are aligned with the 2019 Updated 5 Gifted Endorsement Courses that FDLRS recently made available across the state using the Moodle platform. Please contact your local FDLRS Associate Center for additional information re: offering these courses or scheduling them for your districts. You may locate your local center via the www.fdlrs.org website.
ESE Policies & Procedures (SP&P/Gifted)
Section 1003.57(1)(b)1., Florida Statutes (F.S.), requires that district school boards submit to the Florida Department of Education (FDOE) proposed procedures for the provision of special instruction and services for exceptional students once every three years. Gifted sections are found in Part III and Part V, Appendix C.
To view a district’s approved SP&P visit https://beessgsw.org/#/spp/institution/public/.
To view a district's past approved SP&P visit http://beess.fcim.org/sppDistrictDocSearch.aspx.
- NAGC Convention Presentation: Collaborative Efforts to Support Gifted Education in Florida January 2021
FINDS Research Model
- FINDS, Florida's Library Media Research Model, incorporates research skills that are imbedded in the Florida B.E.S.T. Standards and provides a framework for the application of these standards through a sequential research process. Students learn inquiry-based skills that are applicable across disciplines. Consequently, students acquire the dispositions and competencies needed to follow Florida’s Frameworks for K-12 Gifted learners.
- National Association for Gifted Children (NAGC)
- Council for Exceptional Children (CEC) Talented and Gifted (TAG)
- Neag Center for Gifted Education and Talent Development
Florida Department of Education Resources
- Florida PK-20 Education Information Portal (EDStats)
For state policy and related questions, please contact: