Open Door Grant Program
During the 2021 Florida Legislative Session, House Bill 1507 created section (s.) 1009.895, Florida Statutes (F.S.), to establish the Open Door Grant Program (Open Door), which will provide funds to support student completion of short-term, high-demand credit and non-credit career and technical education (CTE) programs at career centers and Florida College System (FCS) institutions. The Open Door Grant Program was established for the purpose of:
- Creating and sustaining a demand-driven supply of credentialed workers for high-demand occupations by addressing and closing the gap between the skills needed by workers in the state and the skills of the available workforce in the state.
- Expanding the affordability of workforce training and credentialing.
- Increasing the interest of current and future workers in short-term, high-demand career and technical education credentialing and certificate programs.
The Open Door Grant Program funds may be used to cover the cost of tuition, fees, examination, books and materials. The Florida Department of Education will provide grants to agencies on a first-come, first-serve basis, with no single agency receiving more than one-quarter of funds.
The program is administered in accordance with the statutory requirements and the following rule:
2022-2023 Request for Application
- Open Door Grant Program Memorandum (PDF)
- Open Door Grant Program Request for Application – 2nd Review Period (Word)
- Open Door Grant Program Excel Workbook – Full Application with Budget Narrative Form (Excel)
- Open Door Grant Program Excel Workbook – Increase Funds (Excel)
- DOE 100A, Project Application Form (Word)
- Open Door Grant – 2nd Review Period Webinar Recording
- Open Door Grant – 2nd Review Period Webinar Presentation (PDF)
- Excel Workbook Technical Assistance Document (Word)
- FLDOE List of Approved Open Door Programs (PDF)
- For approved, IET programs, see the following:
- Open Door Grant Memo on Programmatic and Fiscal Changes for 2022-23 (PDF)
- May 4, 2022 at 3:00 p.m. (EDT) – FDOE hosted a webinar to review program and fiscal changes impacting the 2022-23 Open Door Grant program.
- June 22, 2022 at 3:00 p.m. (EDT) – FDOE hosted a rule development workshop for amendments to rule 6A-20.045, F.A.C., as a result of Senate Bill 2524 (2022)
- July 6, 2022 – FDOE releases the 2022-23 Request for Application.
- July 21, 2022, 11:00 a.m. (EDT) – FDOE hosts a webinar to review the Request for Application.
- August 12, 2022, 5 p.m. (EDT) – Deadline to submit completed application to be considered in the first review period.
- November 17, 2022 – FDOE releases the 2022-23 Request for Application – 2nd Review Period.
- November 29, 2022, 2:00 p.m. (EDT) – FDOE hosts a webinar to review the Request for Application – 2ND Review Period.
- Registration Link
- December 19, 2022 – Deadline to submit completed application to be considered in the second review period.
Project amendments may be proposed by the Open Door Grant project recipient or by the Florida Department of Education (FDOE) program manager. Amendments will be approved only if the approval procedures described by the FDOE are followed. The “Green Book” is the FDOE’s official guide for the Project Amendment procedures. Refer to the Quick Reference Amendment Chart found in the Green Book Section B - Project Amendments Procedures on page B-4.
Grant Reporting Requirements and Template
Agencies are required to submit quarterly reports on students awarded funds through the Open Door Grant Program. For the 2022-23 grant period, agencies must complete the following three documents with each quarterly reporting submission:
- Open Door Performance Reporting Template for activity as of 12-31-22 (Excel)
- Open Door Reporting Data Standards (PDF) Updated 10-4-22
- Open Door Grant Activity Summary as of 12-31-22 (Word)
- DOE399, Project Disbursement Form (Excel)
- Program Management Resources
- Green Book Section B – Project Amendments Procedures
- DOE 150 form (Word)
- DOE 151 form (Excel)
Questions regarding the program may be directed to email@example.com.