K-12 Student Assessment
The Bureau of K-12 Assessment is responsible for all aspects of Florida's K-12 statewide student assessment programs, including developing, administering, scoring, and reporting the results for assessments aligned to the Florida Standards or Next Generation Sunshine State Standards (NGSSS), as well as assisting with the administration and reporting of several other K-12 student assessment programs. Services are provided both by Florida Department of Education (FDOE) staff and through various contracts with assessment vendors. The primary goal of these assessments is to provide information about student learning in Florida, as required by Florida law (see Section 1008.22, Florida Statutes).
The Statewide Assessment Program Information Guide (PDF) describes the process involved in developing, administering, and scoring the Florida Standards Assessments (FSA) and NGSSS assessments. We encourage parents/guardians, educators, and interested citizens to consult this guide to gain a thorough understanding of the statewide assessment program.
Florida's K-12 Statewide Assessment Program
To learn about the individual K-12 assessments offered in Florida, visit the links below:
- Florida Standards Assessments: The Florida Standards Assessments, which measure student success with the Florida Standards, include assessments in English Language Arts (grades 3-10), Mathematics (grades 3-8), and End-of-Course (EOC) assessments for Algebra 1 and Geometry.
- Statewide Science Assessment: The Statewide Science Assessment measures student success with the Next Generation Sunshine State Standards and includes assessments in grades 5 and 8.
- NGSSS EOC Assessments: The NGSSS EOC assessments are computer-based tests designed to measure student achievement of the specified standards for middle- and high-school level courses in Science (Biology 1) and Social Studies (Civics and U.S. History).
- Florida Civic Literacy Exam (FCLE): The FCLE measures civic literacy competency for students completing a U.S. Government course
- National and International Assessments (NAEP, PIRLS, PISA, and TIMSS): National and state assessments enable us to know how well students are doing in a variety of subjects at different ages and grade levels. International assessments allow us the unique opportunity to benchmark our students' performance to the performance of students in other countries. Florida participates in several national (NAEP) and international (PIRLS, PISA, TIMSS) criterion-referenced surveys.